|CONFIDENTIAL QUESTION ???
|Sex. Why teach it?......
Sex is a major issue facing young people today...possibly the biggest in their mind and even more prevalent than drugs. Peer Pressure coupled with stereotypes derived from television shows, movies,
and music, as well as the large amount of sex used in advertising and available on the Internet, make this issue one that faces teens and children almost daily.
Add that to the ongoing and ever changing hormones due to puberty and adolescence, it equals out to confused teenagers. This website will help give information to teens in grades 6-12 on a variety
of common issues with Human Sexuality, Sex, ways to stay safe and in Growth and development from conception through teen years
Why teach a comprehensive unit in school...... Read "Top 10 reasons to support Comprehensive Sex Education in schools " posted on About.com by Dr. Elizabeth Boskey, Ph.D
or also read "Put the Sex back into Sex Ed" = posted on TIME.com by Camille Paglia
As of June 2019, the School District of Philadelphia Office of Health, Safety and Physical Education has formally adopted the "3R's" curriculum which stands for Rights, Respect and Responsibility.
It was created by the Center for Disease Control and all together, it is a comprehensive curriculum.
The Arts Academy at Benjamin Rush teaches the Health Education course to 11th graders.
The 10th, 11th and 12th grade lessons from "3R's" were reviewed in June of 2019 and implemented into the existing curriculum.
SOME of the content has been placed into other units such as the "Is it Abuse" lesson that is part of the Personal and Social Conflict Resolution Unit.
Some of the lessons have been partially taken to be specific for the needs of the students at the Arts Academy at Benjamin Rush.
The main focus for the high school "3R's" curriculum is safe sexual encounters and CONSENT. For more information, please visit the main "3R's resource page by clicking HERE
SEXUAL DECISION MAKING
Human Sexuality UNIT PROJECT CHOICES
VIDEO PERMISSION SLIP
|Human Sexuality Unit
Main Unit Page
|STANDARDS, OBJECTIVES/CONTENT AND NOTES for this Unit:
What is a healthy relationship
Why should I wait to have Sex
If I choose to have sex, what are my physical and emotional risks and ways to protect myself
What happens during the development and birth of a baby
ARTS ACADEMY AT BENJAMIN RUSH CORE VALUES
• Empathy: How are students contributing to others’ success and understanding?
• Perspective: How are students addressing multiple perspectives about the content of this unit?
• Analysis: What learning experiences are helping students deepen their understanding and apply the content addressed in the unit?
• Commitment: How will students generate their commitment to excellence during this unit of study?
NATIONAL HEALTH STANDARDS:
1 = Core Concepts = Comprehend concepts [facts] related to health promotion and disease prevention
3 = Self-Management = Demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks
4 = Analyzing Influences = Analyze the influence of culture, media, technology and other factors on health
5 = Interpersonal Communication = Demonstrate communication skills with others to enhance health
6 = Decision Making/Goal setting = Demonstrate goal-setting and decision making skills to enhance health
7 = Advocacy = Advocate for personal, family, and community health
PENNSYLVANIA STANDARDS FOCUS:
(PRIMARY AND SECONDARY)
10.1: Concepts of Health A: Stages of Growth and Development E: Health Problems and Disease Prevention
10.2: Healthful Living C: Health information and the media D: Decision Making Skills
10.3: Safety and Injury Prevention: A: Safe/Unsafe practices C: Strategies to avoid and manage conflict
Main OBJECTIVES and content outline:
The objectives in this unit are for grades 6 and up. Teachers should take care in selecting objectives suitable for their student’s grade levels and class
needs. If a student is viewing this website and taking part in the activities, recognize that some material is for other grades. Get your parent's
permission before viewing any material other than what is for your grade!
In general, by the end of this unit,
ALL GRADES will
1) Discuss Abstinence
2) Demonstrate Safe practices and decision making in regards to sexual activity (with Abstinence being foundation of all grades)
1) recall basic information about growth and development (puberty changes) from middle school
2) Identify factors that contribute to sexual decision making
3) Evaluate their personal level of intimacy and determine what is and what is not “healthy”
4) Discuss and explain characteristics of successful and healthy relationships
5) Compare Love vs In Love or Love vs infatuation
6) Distinguish between flirting and harassment
7) Explain ABSTINENCE and demonstrate knowledge that it is the only 100% way to prevent
un-wanted pregnancy or STD’s and furthermore, list reasons why it’s important to WAIT
8) List ways to help protect against STD’s and pregnancy if the choice is made to be sexually active
9) develop basic knowledge of Sexually Transmitted diseases AND explain ways to prevent them.
10) Explain the process of fertilization, pregnancy, child birth and parenting.
6th grade students will:
1) Identify qualities of healthy/supportive relationships
2) Identify roles and responsibilities of a parent
3) Understand how heredity and genetics affect growth and development and risk of disease
4) Demonstrate skills needed to practice good personal hygiene
5) Know indicators of physical, mental, emotional and social health during puberty
6) Identify traditional and non-traditional roles, beliefs and behaviors related to gender and expression of sexuality
7) Recognize importance of positive peer groups for teens
8) Recognize how media influences gender role
9) Understand the process of the menstrual cycle and ovulation
10) Understand why abstinence is the safest behavior for preventing STD/HIV and pregnancy
7th grade students will:
1) REVIEW ALL 6th grade material
2) Describe fertilization, gestation (stages of birth) and the importance of mother's health during pregnancy
3) Recognize that male and female roles have been redefined over time and discuss.
4) Identify safe dating practices for teens.
5) Demonstrate avoiding abusive relationships and where and how to seek intervention support.
6) Identify ways to prevent HIV/STD’s and pregnancy and explain why Abstinence is the best way
8th grade students will:
1) REVIEW ALL 6th and 7th grade content
2) Describe how peer pressure as well as independence and responsibilities associated with maturity influence personal behavior
3) Know that sexual identity is influenced by many factors including psychological, physical, social, cultural, and emotional factors
4) Explain how abstinence from sex is a healthy, safe and responsible decision for adolescents
5) Discuss other contraceptive methods to help prevent pregnancy and spread of Sexually transmitted diseases
6) Demonstrate skills and knowledge necessary to make responsible decisions regarding pregnancy prevention
7) Explain the differences between gender, sex, sexual orientation and gender roles
8) Discuss major Sexually Transmitted Diseases and their causes/symptoms/treatment/results
9) Define Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault and Rape as well as Dating Violence. Describe and practice techniques to “stay safe”
|DISCLAIMER: At bottom of page.
|Main Topic Pages for this current unit:
|Just for parents:
Time to talk free brochure :
Comcast and partnership for a drug free America
Guide to the teen brain: partnership to a drug free America
article: When should my daughter first go to the GYN? =
Is it normal for my 11 year old son to fondle himself? =
Sexual attraction = Teen Health
your child and dating = choose respect
STD's = Teen Health
For a bunch of other topics: goto
and click on sex. You can also see topics on virtually every
other Health topic for teens as well
|Human Sexuality/Growth and Development
OPTIONAL EC lesson on "Trust it or Trash it" aka
VALID SOURCES of INFORMATION" CLICK HERE
and follow the lesson plan. If done alone, select and 2 sources.
Partner or small group? complete all sources.
VIDEO: The Diversity of Sex, Gender and Sexual Orientation =
by STRONG MEDICINE an 18 minute detailed lecture video that
defines sex, gender and sexuality
VIDEO: SEX & SEXUALITY = Crash Course in Sociology 31
11 min explanation that defines sex, gender, sexuality
VIDEO: What happens during Sex (Biologically) = ASAP Science
published July 2018
IN CLASS INTRO POWERPOINT
In class intro worksheet
VIDEO = Sexuality (Sexual Orientation) = Psych2Go
Sexual Intercourse defined = Dictionary.com
For teens: Talking to your parents about sex handout
Informative PDF "textbook"!:
It's your sex life packet aka IYSL= MTV (REALLY GOOD!!!!!)
PLANNED PARENTHOOD TEEN GUIDE TO ALL THINGS ABOUT SEX
SEX ETC = sexetc.org
(comprehensive guide to all topics but articles are
written BY TEENS FOR TEENS)
Iwannaknow myths vs facts = ASHA
CDC Sexual Health overview = CDC
(comprehensive guide to Prevention of STI's and Overall Sexual Health)
SPECIAL DISCLAIMER for this Unit:
This Unit is a comprehensive although not all inclusive
Unit on various topics in Human Sexuality
that could be developed into a full course.
CONTENT IS FROM GRADES 5-12 but OBVIOUSLY some of
the content is NOT for all grades 5-12.
For a Top 10 list of reasons to include a comprehensive program
of sexuality education rather than just
Abstinence only Education, please CLICK HERE.
ALTHOUGH ALL EDUCATIONAL,
STUDENTS NOT ENROLLED IN MR. CORABI'S
HEALTH CLASS OR HEALTH CLASS AT
THE ARTS ACADEMY AT BENJAMIN RUSH,
SHOULD GET THEIR PARENT'S PERMISSION
BEFORE OPENING ANY LINKS OR DOWNLOADING
It is assumed that students assigned to Mr. Corabi's class
or Health Class at the
Arts Academy at Benjamin Rush
have their parent's permission.
If another teacher other than Mr. Corabi or other Health teacher
at the Arts Academy at Benjamin Rush uses this website for
their class, please use your discretion and the Curriculum
guidelines for your district before using this website
|DISCLAIMER: This website is part of a personal website created and
maintained by Todd Corabi, Huntingdon Valley PA. ALL web links are to
websites OR website activities that are offered for free anyway and are usually
credited as to what company posted the link.
Downloads are either self made by Todd Corabi, approved for distribution, or
downloaded for free originally from Google search, yahoo search or from
Glencoe Health. Videos posted are embedded in other sites (credited) OR
from Youtube most often.
No copyright infrigement is intended. All postings are posted solely for
NO STUDENT INFORMATION IS POSTED ON ANY OF THESE PAGES
or this website directly
The primary use of this website is by Todd Corabi for his students to
supplement materials used in class OR posted on google classroom
If you have any concerns, please email email@example.com
Permission is GRANTED for anyone else to use any material on this site
that I created..please give source credit.